FAQs

Here are some of the Frequently Asked Questions related to this course.

Q. What is Python 171

Python is a programming language used widely across the globe. This introductory course prepares you from writing your first code to continuing your journey in coding. It doesn’t matter if you have experience in coding earlier or you have never written a single code in your life, this course will cover all the basics you require to create your solutions in python.

Q. What makes this course unique

Anyone can enroll in this workshop regardless of your experience in programming. This course doesn’t require any prerequisite. If you are new to programming, that’s great! If you have little experience in programming, you may find some familiar concepts. Although, you will need to put considerable amount of effort to get good score in this course.

Q. What are the commitments?

In order to earn 3 credits at the end of this course you need to pass this course. complete 10 assignments, 3 quizzes, and one final exam.

Q. Which “grade scale” is followed by the instructor?

The grade scale listed by the college will be used. You can find the link here

Q. What will I learn in this course?

All the basics and some of the advanced topics in python programming language. This workshop doesn’t not guarantee to make you a full-time programmer, but can get you started with your programming journey. Topics included are

• General Instruction
  • Variables
  • Operators
  • Loops
  • List
  • Tuple
  • Dictionary
  • String operations
  • File handling operations
  • Basic visualizations

Q. What is the mode of instruction? What does “hybrid” mean?

The mode of instruction is hybrid. Hybrid means we meet once a week through in-person class and rest of the work will be uploaded on Blackboard. Just remember to submit your assignment on time to get full score. Assignment can be submitted after the due date with 50% penalty. NOTE: You cannot retake or make up for missed quiz or finals

Q. How to submit my assignments?

• Download the assignment from BB. It will be in .ipynb format.

• Rename the file to yourname_assignmentnumber.ipynb

• Upload the file on Google colab

• Type in your solutions.

• Once done, go to File > Download as > .ipynb
  • Upload this ipynb notebook(make sure it has your solutions, don’t submit the empty notebook again) to blackboard under the assignments.

Q. My Cleared4CUNY status got revoked this morning (or) I missed my train (or) My alarm didn’t ring this morning. Due to this I won’t be able to attend the quiz. Can I retake it on a later date?

Such situations are unfortunate and might happen to anyone. Check your email regularly for random testing messages. It gives you 14 days to get tested. You CANNOT take quiz on a later date.

Any more questions? Email me at my given email address(check your syllabus copy for my address)